The latest technique to rank well in Google?
1. Honestly Value your User's Experience on Your Site
* Page Load Time - your speed can and should load faster. Gzip. Parallelize Download Requests. Leverage Browser Caching. Etc.
* Design - the arrangement of your site matters. Design it so people can use it, and robots can figure it out. Don't try to trick robots nor people.
* Canonicalization - including www/non-www redirection, http/https, trailing slash, tag archives, everything
* Use Meaningful, Descriptive Words, Not Meaningless Terms and Numbers. Especially in your page URLs. www.quora.com/What-is-the-latest-technique-to-get-a-high-rank-on-Google is a good example
2. Produce valuable content and tools. Produce a lot of both.
- Media types: Video, Audio, Text, Images, Graphics, Infographics
- Subject Matter: Opinion, Fact, Independent Research, Aggregated Reviews
- Create web-tools people want to use, like Facebook, eBay, Twitter, Quora, Moz.
3. Promote the content and tools you've created.
* Linkerati (the small % of web users that naturally share links and blog)
* Journalists (create real news, let the people that write the news know)
* Earned Media
* Owned Media
Really, nothing here is new. SEO is Marketing.